Aug 20 2017

Where Can I Earn a Degree in Secondary English Education? #online #schools #for #secondary #education, #where #can #i #earn #a #degree #in #secondary #english #education?

(Last Updated On: 28/09/2019)


Where Can I Earn a Degree in Secondary English Education?

Many colleges offer Bachelor of Arts in Secondary English Education programs that prepare students to teach English, literature and language arts in middle schools and high schools. Read about some universities with B.A. in Secondary English Education programs below. Schools offering Teaching – Elementary Reading & Literacy degrees can also be found in these popular choices.

Secondary English Education Program Information

Future secondary school English teachers can choose a Bachelor of Arts in Secondary English Education to prepare for a classroom teaching position. Most of these programs offer English studies along with the teacher training required for state licensing; however, some programs do not qualify graduates for licensing. Universities offer these programs through their colleges of education and generally require about 125 credit hours of classes and a student teaching internship at a middle or high school. Here is a list of some example schools where you can earn a degree in secondary English education.

Important Information About Secondary English Education Degrees

Curriculum development, classroom management, cultural diversity, English as a Second Language, methods of teaching technology in education, and educational psychology.

Online degrees are available at Grand Canyon University and ASU.

Primary level teacher, secondary level English teacher, English as a second language teacher, publishing, and writing; Teaching college level English typically requires a Master’s Degree.

State licensing and/or certification is required to teach in public schools, but not always in private ones. Some schools require teachers to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their licenses.

University of Iowa

Located in Iowa City, the University of Iowa has a degree program in secondary education with an option for English language teaching endorsement and licensure. The program curriculum covers American and British literature from the Renaissance to the modern period, as well as creative writing and nine classes in pedagogy. The program also offers students an opportunity to gain field experience throughout the education.

Arizona State University

The Mary Lou Fulton College of Education, part of Arizona State University in Tempe, focuses on students who wish to teach adolescents in 7-12th grades. The Bachelor of Arts in Education with a secondary education English concentration requires in-school internships and courses taught in the field. The focus of the B.A.E. program is split between developing subject matter expertise and teaching skills.

University of Hartford

The University of Hartford in Connecticut offers a Bachelor of Arts in Secondary English Education, combining education classes with an English major. This will qualify the student to become certified as a high school English teacher. One semester is finished through an internship at an urban or suburban high school to gain teaching experience.

University of Kentucky

The University of Kentucky in Lexington offers a Bachelor of Arts degree program in secondary English education. This program does not lead to teacher certification; certification and student teaching are part of the Master of Arts in Teaching degree program. Students in the bachelor’s degree program do engage in fieldwork with adolescents.

To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below:

Written by CREDIT